Looking for an original pan-Asian inspired dessert? Okonomiyaki can also be made into a sweet dessert by using sweet ingredients instead of savory ones. Here’s our recipe for sweet okonomiyaki. And… it’s vegan!
To make a sweet okonomiyaki, you can use a batter made with all-purpose flour, water, baking powder, and salt, and add in sweet ingredients like grated apple, chopped banana, chopped strawberries, or diced pineapple. You can also add a little sugar to the batter for extra sweetness.
Once the batter is ready, cook the pancakes in a skillet over medium heat, just like with the savory version. When the pancakes are cooked and golden brown, you can serve them with toppings like whipped cream, chocolate sauce, powdered sugar, or fruit syrups.
Here is a simple recipe for sweet okonomiyaki:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated apple
- 1/4 cup chopped banana
- 1/4 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Toppings of your choice (such as whipped cream, chocolate sauce, powdered sugar, and fruit syrups)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, water, baking powder, salt, and sugar (if using) until smooth.
- Stir in the grated apple, chopped banana, and chopped strawberries until well combined.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Scoop about 1/2 cup of the pancake batter into the skillet and spread it out into a circle.
- Cook the pancake for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more oil to the skillet as needed.
- Serve the pancakes topped with whipped cream, chocolate sauce, powdered sugar, and fruit syrups, if desired.
Enjoy your sweet okonomiyaki! And don’t forget to share your results in our Facebook group.