Sushi is one of the most famous Japanese dishes, and it is loved by people worldwide. But what makes sushi so unique? And where did it come from? In this blog post, chef Brian from London explores the origins of sushi and why it has become so popular in Japan.
History of Sushi
Sushi originated in Japan over 2,000 years ago. At that time, it was known as “narezushi” and consisted of fish fermented in rice. Over time, the fermentation process was replaced with vinegar, and the dish became known as “vinegared sushi”. Finally, in the 18th century, a new form of sushi called “modern sushi” was created. This type of sushi is the one that we know today and consists of seafood and vegetables wrapped in rice.
What are the origins of sushi?
The origins of sushi are a bit mysterious. A few different stories claim to explain how the dish was created. One story suggests that sushi was first made by a samurai warrior named Hanaya Yohei. Yohei invented the dish in the 18th century to preserve fish.
Another story claims that sushi was invented by a woman named Hanaya Keiko. Keiko is said to have created the dish in the 17th century to feed her guests.
Regardless of who invented sushi, there is no doubt that the dish has been around for centuries. This makes it one of the oldest dishes in Japan.
What are some common types of sushi?
There are a variety of different types of sushi that can be enjoyed. Some of the most popular types include:
- Nigiri sushi: This is the most basic type of sushi. It consists of a slice of raw fish on top of a piece of rice.
- Maki sushi is a type of sushi made by rolling rice and ingredients into a cylindrical shape.
- Temaki sushi: This sushi is made by rolling ingredients into a cone-shaped roll.
- Inari sushi is a type of sushi made by stuffing cooked rice into a pouch made from fried tofu.
Fun facts about sushi
- There are no strict rules when it comes to making sushi. This means that chefs can get creative and use various ingredients in their dishes.
- Sushi is not only enjoyed in Japan. It is one of the most popular dishes in the world.
- Sushi is a very versatile dish and can be made with various ingredients. This means that there is something for everyone when it comes to sushi.
- Sushi is considered a high-quality dish and is often seen as an indulgence. It is typically quite expensive.
What do Japanese people think of this famous cuisine?
Japanese people have a love-hate relationship with sushi. On the one hand, sushi is considered the country’s national dish and is enjoyed by people of all ages. However, on the other hand, sushi is also quite expensive and can be difficult to make correctly. As a result, not everyone in Japan can enjoy this famous cuisine.
Nonetheless, sushi continues to grow in popularity both in Japan and around the world. This is likely because it is a healthy, versatile, and affordable dish that people of all ages can enjoy.
Sushi is a beloved food in Japan, and for a good reason. This cuisine has a long and fascinating history that can be traced back to the country’s earliest inhabitants. Today, there are countless variations of sushi, each with its unique flavor profile and texture. So if you’re looking to introduce Japanese cuisine, sushi is a great place to start.